After speaking with a friend who is also walking in the Dallas/Ft. Worth walk in November I decided to write a short post about fundraising basics. If you are walking, but haven't explored the fundraising tools in your participant center, now is the time! This is a very basic look at how to send fundraising e-mails using the participant center. If you're already an expert, skip this post. I'll write more later this week for you.
1) Go to www.the3day.org
2) Log in to your account.
3) Choose your walk location by clicking the link in the center of the screen.
4) An optional next step is uploading your e-mail contacts to your address book. If you want to do this, you will click on the square that says "Address Book." From there, follow the steps to import addresses from your e-mail account into the 3-day address book. You can either copy and paste, or import them directly from your e-mail program. **If none of this makes sense to you, skip this step. I know an easier way!**
5) When you are ready to draft your e-mail, click "Email." The 3-day folks have provided some INCREDIBLE templates for you to look through. I invite you to take some time and read through a few of them. Pick and choose which one you like best, but feel free to combine several to get the exact letter you want.
6) If you did step 4 and have entered everyone you know into your address book, you can begin adding them by highlighting their names and clicking "Add Recipients." If you did NOT add everyone you know to your 3-day address book, do not fear. Right now open your e-mail account and compose a new e-mail. Act as though you are going to send it to everyone you know, typing in all of those e-mail address. Once you are done, copy the e-mail addresses and go back to your 3-day fundraising e-mail page. Paste these e-mail addresses in. You may have to format them. For example, if you pasted in something that looks like this:
Sue SmithYou will need to edit it so that it looks like this:
, Joe Jones ...
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org) Once you have decided what template to use and have the e-mail addresses all entered, you are ready to go! A few things to remember:
- Send it to everyone you know.
- Do not ask for a specific dollar amount. If you ask for $50 you will get $50 from someone who would have given you $500 and nothing from someone who would have given you $25.
- Make your e-mail personal. It's okay to be a little emotional.
- Know your audience.
- Invite them to forward your e-mail on to friends and family that have been touched by breast cancer...have THEM help you fundraise!!
9) Once you've previewed and saved, click send!
10) You can track who has received, opened, and donated by clicking on the Follow Ups button in your participant center. From here you can send thank you e-mails to your donors, reminder e-mails to those who read your e-mail but didn't donate, and keep track of who has donated.
If you have any questions about these steps or want more information, please feel free to e-mail me at Leanne.Lindgren(at)gmail.com or comment here. I'm going to start blogging at least weekly with tips and how-tos to make fundraising, training, and preparing for the 3-day more fun and less overwhelming.